Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

A Couple Feature Requests

I'm pretty sure I've heard before that Time Out 2 will be able to turn off breaks when select applications are active. To go with that, I'd like to see a feature that I'll refer to as "Gentle Reminder Mode". Basically an option in between turning breaks off and on, "Gentle Reminder Mode" shows Growl notifications that tell the user to take a break as soon as he/she is finished with the current activity, such as watching a video instead of forcing them immediately. Perhaps returning from "Gentle Reminder Mode" could trigger the break that is due.

I currently use AppleScript and Quicksilver's (http://www.blacktree.com/) HotKey Triggers feature to toggle TimeOut breaks as well as Caffeine (http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/, to prevent my display from dimming or sleeping) while watching an online video via a keyboard shortcut. In order to work with Time Out I have to use GUI scripting, which is a less than elegant solution. For anyone interested, here's my code (sorry that none of the indentation wants to show up):

tell application "Caffeine"

if not active then

turn on

if application "Time Out" is running then
activate application "Time Out"
tell application "System Events"
click menu "Break" of menu bar item "Break" of menu bar 1 of process "Time Out"
try
click menu item "Pause Breaks" of menu "Break" of menu bar item "Break" of menu bar 1 of process "Time Out"
end try
end tell
end if

else

turn off

if application "Time Out" is running then
activate application "Time Out"
tell application "System Events"
click menu "Break" of menu bar item "Break" of menu bar 1 of process "Time Out"
try
click menu item "Resume Breaks" of menu "Break" of menu bar item "Break" of menu bar 1 of process "Time Out"
end try
end tell
end if
end if

end tell

--activate the previously active App
tell application "System Events" to keystroke tab using command down

I would like to see an AppleScript dictionary so the above can run more smoothly, and so I can consider using the aforementioned "Gentle Reminder" mode. If you really want to please me, you could include support for commands like "Pause Breaks [for]" or "Gentle Reminder [for]" so I can temporarily configure Time Out alongside Caffeine to avoid forgetting to turn them back on. Of course, all of this probably wouldn't be as desirable if Time Out could detect sites like YouTube, but last time I checked it wasn't possible/feasible.

I apologize if any of the above has already been requested. Thanks in advanced!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: A Couple Feature Requests

Thanks for the suggestions, and the handy AppleScript.

I plan to make notifications much more flexible (more like in my Simon application), including the ability to have a Growl notification a specified interval before a break is due.

I also want to have a break option where it prompts you to start a break when you're ready, by clicking a button or something.

I'm not sure exactly how I'd accommodate your "gentle reminder mode", though. Maybe some breaks could opt out of the preference to disable breaks during full-screen apps, if they don't automatically start a break? I'll have to ponder this, but it probably won't be supported in 2.0.

I've got lots of stuff planned for Time Out 2, but there's no way I can fit everything into 2.0. My plan is to implement the minimal features, then add more over time, with smaller, more frequent updates, tweaking based on feedback.