Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

is it possible to save the set of site test definitions and notifiers?

I've just defined a bunch of site tests in the Simon Monitor. I'm running this at work, and would also like to run the identical set of tests on a machine at home. What's the easiest way to copy the definitions so that I wouldn't have to do it all again? Is there a preference file or some other place where notifiers and test definitions are saved that can be moved?

thank you,

Mike

Ulf Dunkel's picture

Re: is it possible to save the set of site test definitions ...

Please read this FAQ, Mike:
http://www.dejal.com/faq/simon/data

Thanks. I did see that but I wasn't sure if this was the "approved" way of moving things. So if I just copy those files after installation, everything comes with it, right?

Mike

Ulf Dunkel's picture

Yes, this should work fine. But if you want to continue using the same tests on two machines, you may want to try using aliases on one machine which point to the real files on the other machine. Or you will have to find another way to regularly synchronize these files when you change or add something.

David Sinclair's picture

I don't recommend that. Having two copies of Simon using the same data would end up losing data, since each time it saves it'd overwrite the other's save.

I am actually working on a new data format right now, that would make merging changes easier in the future. I eventually want to implement full syncing features, but that will come later; this is a first step.

But yes, copying the data folder onto another machine is the recommended approach. Just don't try to use it from two machines at the same time.