Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Lowest "After success, check again in" setting for a Test, can this be under 20 seconds?

When configuring an item to be Tested (towards a URL on a local network) I am unable to get Simon to poll repeatedly with a success interval of less than 20 seconds.

If the Simon > "Test" > Edit Test > Options > After success, check again value is set to 10 seconds, the lowest the main Monitor window reports as an interval between tests is 20 seconds. This is confirmed as the test cycle poll next occurs some 20 seconds later.

I have very simple monitoring in place on a local LAN and wonder is this a system imposed restriction, if so I cant find it anywhere? All values from 1 - 19 are stored by default when OK is selected, yet the interval is not reduced between tests in the main Monitor window. A restart of the app does not change the interval to below the minimum of 20 seconds.

Of note, I'm keen to set this to an interval of 1 for a month (or so) whilst I debug another web based application to know when crashing occurs based on user input.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Lowest "After success, check again in" setting for a ...

Simon 3.02 and earlier imposes a limit of at least 15 seconds between checks for the next check calculations, to avoid overloading the system.

I've just reduced that to 5 seconds for version 3.1 (due out today).

Great. Thanks for the update. :o)

Can you also confirm that when a lower value is entered (if now under 5) the value of 5 is displayed (i.e. if 4 is entered the display will remain showing a 5).

In testing (later on) if i set anything under 20 I ended up with strange multiples in the Monitoring window, entering 14 was 28, 13 was 26, 12 was 24, 11 was 22, 10 was 20, 9 was 18, 8 was 16, 7 was 20, so ended up settling on 20.

Thanks for the great support.

David Sinclair's picture

If the interval is 5 or less, it will simply bump it to the next time — so yes, that would probably explain the multiples you saw.

(It's also possible there's another limiter in there somewhere; not sure.)