Macfilink - Where's my cloaked link?

I've gone through the Macfilink help. One thing I don't quite understand is, what/where is my cloaked link URL?

Let's say I've created a new entry, entered the Title, Description, and Original URL, then gone to the Upload sheet and entered my FTP info, and finally FTP'd the page to my site...so what's the cloaked URL I give to visitors?

I see a field for the original URL, but no cloaked URL to copy and give to visitors.

Let's say I'm an affiliate for JoesGifts.com. If I click the Visit Site button, In Safari's address bar, I see this:

http://www.joesgifts.com/?goto=myaffiliateid

That's obviously not cloaked!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Macfilink - Where's my cloaked link?

You put that affiliate URL in the Original URL field. Macfilink generates HTML that will mask it, and you upload it to your site. The URL you give to visitors is your own site's URL, where you uploaded that file.

Thanks for the reply. As I understand it then, the filename you enter in the Upload to Website Sheet will become the URL you want to give out. So if you enter a filename of joesgifts in the Upload to Website Sheet, then your cloaked affiliate URL will be yourdomainname/joesgifts .html?

David Sinclair's picture

That is correct. You can also enter a directory path, if you don't want it at the root level of your domain (or if you need to specify a path, e.g. web sites usually have a "public_html" directory that web pages go in).