Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Packaged Sounds Not Playing

Excellent Product! - Kudos to the developer.

However, I have been unable to 'activate' the sounds that come packaged with the application (or any Dejal application). When I select them, they do not play. I am running Snow Leopard with all current updates.

FYI, I have the same problem with the "Time Out" application, where only the native Mac sounds will play... the new sounds packaged with the software will not (buzzer, orchestra, etc.).

Is there something I must do to activate these sounds/actions?

Thank you!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Packaged Sounds Not Playing

If you go to New Notifier and choose the Sound kind, and choose one of the built-in sounds, does it not play from there? I just tested it, and it works fine for me (in Snowy).

I am unable to play any of the sounds listed under "notifiers" in Simon (as native Mac sounds are not listed as an option..only the unique sounds packaged with the application). Similarly, I cannot play the packaged sounds in "Time Out" either…even though the native Mac sounds DO work. If Native Mac sounds were an option in Simon, it is likely that they would work for me as well…but no "buzzer" or "sax", etc.

Also, my MacBook Pro is very new (2011 unibody), and has not been customized in any way…nor do I have many programs/apps installed.

Since "Time Out" allows native sounds, this is not necessarily a problem…however the lack of native sounds in "Simon" does limit the effectiveness of my tests as there are now no audible alerts available to me.

Thanks for your help!

PS. Just to be clear, I CAN play all sounds that come with the OS, but I cannot play ANY of the sounds you provide in the app/package.

David Sinclair's picture

Curious. One interesting experiment could be to try playing the bundled sounds from the Finder, to see if that works. Go to this path within the Simon app: "Simon.app/Contents/PlugIns/Sound.notifier/Contents/Resources" and try playing the bundled sounds (e.g. via QuickLook).

However, all is not lost; you can play any sound file in Simon. Simply click the Set button to choose a sound file. OS ones can be found in "/System/Library/Sounds".

I was able to navigate to each sound and play them successfully within the Finder. I am also able to press the "play" button within the app and play each sound. However, the sounds do not play when they are triggered by the app during operation…while native OS sounds DO play.

I am using native OS sounds at the moment, so all is well…but I thought that you should know about the problem.

By the way, I can't wait to see what brilliant applications you come up with next!

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the update. I have no idea why that might occur, but I'm glad you have a workaround.

One idea: if you want to play the bundled sounds, you could try copying them to some convenient location, then choose one via the Set button, rather than selecting from the menu. That might work.

I'll definitely look into this further when I rework the sound feature in future versions.