Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Sample Test Recovery?

Is there a way to recover the three sample test scripts that originally were available when the application was first installed? I removed them accidentally, and even reinstalling the application will not recover them. I am running into difficulty checking a site for changes, and need to refer to these test scripts for guidance.

Thank you!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Sample Test Recovery?

The most feasible way to get the three default test configurations back is to delete all of your tests — which you probably wouldn't want to do.

You can also see screenshots of some settings on the Simon site, e.g.

If you really want to re-add the tests, that would be possible if you're comfortable editing XML files... but that's fairly advanced stuff, and not recommended. I can provide info if you're keen, though.

Alternatively, just ask specific questions and I'll try to help.

Thank you for the detailed response!

I did delete all of my tests, but the sample tests did not reappear (if that is what you were inferring would happen).

As for XML, I am fairly comfortable modifying any code….so I would love to know what I need to change, when you have time.

Thanks again!

David Sinclair's picture

You'd need to quit and re-launch Simon after deleting all the tests. I believe that should add the default ones. Or maybe deleting the Tests.simon data file would be needed.

Anyway, if you're starting from no tests (or don't mind replacing the data file), the easiest way to get back to the default data would be to quit Simon then trash the data folder. That'll give you all the default data again when you next launch.

Alternatively, you could replace just the Tests.simon data file, as indicated above.

The advanced step is to merge two sets of data, which would require copying entries from the Tests.simon data file bundled in the application (at "Simon.app/Contents/Resources/Tests.simon") to your data file. It's just a text property list file, so fairly easy to understand. But try one of the above approaches first.

Thank you. I was able to recover the sample tests. :^)