Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

It's happening again: Simon shows ALL SITES DOWN (they're not) and Stop Checking doesn't stop the checking.

Constantly checking, failing, but the sites are up.

Simon was turned off since yesterday, but at that point it was okay.

Copied console log into text doc - it's attached.

HELP! I don't have time to enter sites again.

AttachmentSize
Simon log from console.txt7.33 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: It's happening again: Simon shows ALL SITES DOWN ...

D'oh! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm on vacation currently, but as soon as I'm back at work next week, I'll be working on Simon 3.2, which will split out the Web (HTTP) plugin into a separate app. Based on the evidence so far, I believe that will fix this issue. Apologies in the meantime; restart your machine and hopefully Simon will behave again until 3.2 is available.

Ulf Dunkel's picture

@karelles: Can you please check if Simon has lost all time values in the test’s Options settings? I had this issue that all tests were reset to 0 seconds, which in fact will always fail.

Yeah they're all set to 0, but even when I change the values, the test still fails, and continuing to try to change the options crashes the program.

Ouch.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the assist, Ulf. If you edit a test so it has valid frequencies, then go back into it to edit again, do the correct values stick, or do they revert back to zeroes?

What about if you quit and re-launch Simon after editing? Do they stick then?

I'll definitely add logic to check for this in version 3.2, but any additional clues you can provide could be helpful.

If you experience this again, please quit Simon and make a copy of your data before doing the above to try to fix it — and send me a copy of the data, so I can examine it. That'll help me determine what is going wrong.

David,

I pretty much have to relaunch Simon, given that it only allows me to edit one or two before it hangs and I have to force quit it. In between force quits, it was holding the changed settings. However, when it hung yesterday, I force quit it and didn't have a chance to check it til just now. Of the 6 or 7 I changed before I lost patience force quitting between changes, only one has retained its settings.

Could Little Snitch have an effect on this? and why only after weeks of clean operation does it then fail?

You say send you the data: is there a way to store a clean copy of the data so when this happens I can delete a database and just reload from clean data? At the moment I don't NEED historical data, I just need to see that the site is up in the moment. I'll need that historical data at some point but not right now.

And at no point does it notify me of failures, even when the settings were changed and it actually had time to send an email.

S**t, it just crashed again when I was in preferences and clicked on Advanced. I'm starting to take this personally.

K

David Sinclair's picture

I'm sorry that Simon is misbehaving. I really want to figure out what is causing such misbehavior for you and a few others.

Yes, you could keep a copy of the Simon data folder, and replace that whenever desired. The folder is in the path "~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon", where "~" means your home folder.

It may be helpful to send a Console log and/or crash report, too — they might also have clues. But sending data that shows the zero frequencies would be most helpful. (Ulf, if you have such data, please send that too.)

Any clues you can provide would be most helpful.

Do you want the entire Simon data folder, or just one of the files?

David Sinclair's picture

The entire data folder would be best. Just compress it and email it to me. Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

Good news: I've figured out why this is happening. It's a data incompatibility between Simon 2 and 3. If you run Simon 3, it only saves a new data format for the frequency values. So if you run Simon 2, they will be zero... and it will save those values, so when you go back to Simon 3, they will be zero there too.

So you can avoid this issue by not running Simon 2 after upgrading to version 3.

I have changed Simon 3.2 (to be released soon) to save the legacy data format for those values too, so you'll be able to go back to version 2 successfully (though it still isn't recommended, as there could be other data issues, and this legacy support won't be kept forever). I've also added sanity checks to ensure sensible values are used if they become zero through some other means, but I think the above explanation would be the cause.

@karelles: can you confirm that you had run Simon 2 after using Simon 3?