Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Log of Simon's SMS/Email activity

Is there a "log file" somewhere that records success or failure of the notification messages Simon sends out? Specifically, I had a server fail today, but never got the SMS message (sent as an email to "###.txt.att.net, <###2@txt.att.net, ###3@txt.att.net" ) letting me know it was down. I have three different email addresses there, separated by "commas".

I did get email from a different email notifier, but not the SMS messages from the email. I've tested emailing to those numbers via regular mail, and that worked fine, but I never got the notification from Simon.

I do see the "email" notification messages in the [Notifications] list, but none of us got them.

Any ideas why SMS via email wouldn't work, but regular email would?

AttachmentSize
Simon.jpg64.81 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: Log of Simon's SMS/Email activity

Yes, you can enable extra email logging via this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.dejal.simon2 EmailDebugMode YES

You can also try the notifier from within Simon by clicking the Notify Now toolbar button in the Notifiers window.

If it doesn't work, try specifying only one email address; I forget if multiple are supported.

Re: Log of Simon's SMS/Email activity

Just a thought: If you added spaces after the "," you may want to remove those. We are running a program (not Simon though) that keeps strictly to the rfcs and I learned to my surprise that spaces were a valid part of mail addresses.
cheers
eve