Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Damaged notifier

I have a notifier failing to send an SMS. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was immediately after upgrading from version 2 to 3. I fixed it by discarding the Simon preference file and Notifiers.simon. Then re-created all my notifiers. Now it has happened again. Odd thing is when the server recovered the same notifier succeeded in sending an SMS. When I attempt to edit the notifier I get a damaged screen. See my attached screen shot.

AttachmentSize
Problem with Simon.png62.1 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: Damaged notifier

Check that the notifier is still available for failures as well as recoveries.

Regarding the UI wackiness, yes, that is a known issue with a few windows. Resizing the window should fix it.

The notifier is not available for failures. Only works for recoveries. I was considering recreating Notifiers.simon but fear it will simply do the same thing again.

Resizing the window is the first thing I did. There was no improvement. I still cannot see values at the top of the list.

David Sinclair's picture

Rather than discarding and recreating it completely, you could try duplicating the notifier; that will create a new one with similar settings, but if there's something damaged, hopefully the damage won't carry over.

You could also email me your Notifiers.simon file for analysis.

Duplicated the notifier. It works correctly for one test failure but does not after that. Also found the UI wackiness can be temporarily fixed by selecting a different notifier kind then promptly selecting the original kind. There is no where to send a copy of my notifier in this reply. I sent it via email to your support address.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the files. Interesting if it works once then not again. Could you please confirm that by duplicating again? Could also be useful to make a copy of the Notifiers.simon file after duplicating but before it is used, then again after it is used and stops working, to see if the config is changed. I can't think of any other reason that could occur.

Problem solved. I took a simplified approach. Deleted all notifiers except my three.