Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Notice change in website with a test

Hey, I only started using the free version of Simon for 2 days now and I plan to use it to detect changes in a website (see wich person has posted something new). My knowledge about this is pretty restricted but I want to find out if it's usefull for me before the trial is expired.

So my question is, to perform a test, I put the website in Service --> Web Http --> Url
After that I go into Filter ---> select Any --> Change ---> Input response Text

Now from what I understand, this should give me the changes on the website when I go into Changes in the Monitor (after a couple of tests and after a change really has taken place)

Well I did see soms change in the code, wich is allready a nice thing , but is there a way to see really the text that has been changed? eg: no need to go check the site to see the difference?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Notice change in website with a test

Welcome to Simon!

Yes, the Change filter is the most broad: it detects any change on the page. In the Changes log, it will show the difference, which may be quite large (so it'll only show the first part of the difference).

Often, though, you don't care about all differences: you would like to ignore banners and other irrelevant dynamic content.

So you can use a different filter to concentrate on a specific portion of the page. The Block filter is one of the most popular and easy: simply specify the HTML before and after the portion you're interested in, and the filter will output the text between those, and thus only the difference in that range will appear in the Changes log.

There are also more sophisticated filters available, e.g. to find by regular expression, or evaluate as a number. (These are only available in the standard edition of Simon, available from this site.)

See the default tests for examples. Hope this helps.