Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

SMS to ATT not working

I'm back to Simon after many years and have purchased a license.

I can get the email notifier to send me an email message but I also want an SMS message to my ATT iPhone. Setting up the SMS notifier as [10-digit-numer]@txt.att.net does not work from Simon, but it does from my email client. Similarly, using the Simon email notifier to send to [10-digit-numer]@txt.att.net also fails.

Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm actually trying to monitor my mail server, so notifying me via email is a bit pointless.

Thanks,
Gary

David Sinclair's picture

Re: SMS to ATT not working

Hi Gary,

If the email notifier works for other addresses, it should work for that one, too. Email can be tricky to get working, though. Are you using the Automatic transport, or a specific SMTP server? Try whichever you aren't using.

I set up an email notifier and changed the Transport from automatic to my university's outbound SMTP server. This notifier sends to my iPhone's txt.att.net address just fine. However, the SMS notifier set to use email does not. Can I change the transport for the SMS type notifier?

Gary

David Sinclair's picture

No, the SMS notifier only supports the Automatic transport currently. Sometime I do want to replace the engine for the Automatic transport to support more mail servers.

So in the meantime, just use the Email notifier.

David,
I'll use the Email notifier for now.

In the SMS notifier, what function do the "providers" serve? Are they just reminders of the path to a particular wireless provider's SMS gateway?

Gary

David Sinclair's picture

Yes, Providers are a quick way to select the domain for the email address.