Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Filter tutorial + highlighting

Dear Dejal,

As a new user I am finding the learning curve very steep. A tutorial on how to use filters would be very helpful. Also, some way to indicate the text that is isolated/checked by the filter in the CURRENT source code would be very helpful. Just highlighting the relevant text would be enough. That way it would be obvious what each filter is actually doing.

Thanks for considering!
James

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Filter tutorial + highlighting

Filters can be as simple or complex as you wish. At the simplest, the Change filter (which is now the default for new tests) detects any difference in the output of the service.

A popular alternative is the Block filter, which takes start and end text, finds those in the service output, and only looks at text between them.

There are several other filters, like finding text, including via regular expressions, which is more advanced.

To locate the text to search for, you can use the Preview window, then click in the HTML source and use Cmd-F to find what you're looking for to copy and paste into the Block filter (or whichever).

In a future version I plan to add a filter output view, similar to the Preview window, but showing the output from each filter (you can use multiple filters to for example extract a number then evaluate it).

Note also that you can see the resulting difference in the Changes log.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your response: the filter output view is exactly what I am thinking of! I will look forward to that feature.

Meanwhile, I understand that filters can be used in these different ways, but I still think it would be easiest for people like me to understand how each one works by just having a tutorial to work through somewhere on your website with screenshots of each step. Many apps have support along these lines and it always makes features more concrete and accessible. Just an idea.

David Sinclair's picture

I agree, a step-by-step tutorial like that would be quite helpful. I've been meaning to create some videocasts demoing Simon (and my other apps), but screenshots would certainly be easier. I'll add that to my to-do list for when I have enough time.

In the meantime, have a read of the help book, if you haven't already. It doesn't have screenshots or tutorials like that (though again I'd like to add that there, too), but it might provide some clarity.

And of course feel free to ask questions in the forum.