Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Can't detect changes

I'm trying to detect any change in a web page, to detect malware infection. I created a web http service for the page in question, and a filter for any change. Then I tested it by adding a period . character at the end of the web page and uploading it, but Simon doesn't detect any changes (last change: never). Of course I did some scans before and after the change in the web page. Am I doing it wrong?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Can't detect changes

The usual cause of issues like this is that Simon doesn't detect changes for the first check after editing to test, to avoid falsely reporting a change when you alter the filter or other settings.

So try checking the test again a couple of times, without editing it, and see if that helps.

You could also look at the Activity log to see if that provides any clues. Email me a screenshot if you want me to take a look.

Another thing to try is to quit and re-launch Simon, in case it got into a weird state. Kinda like the old tech support adage of "when in doubt, reboot".

The activity log does have some green triangles, which I assume indicate changes. However, the main screen says "Last Change: never" and the Changes tab shows nothing. But now I made a change and re-checked and the main screen and Changes tabs do show something now. So maybe there's a bug/feature whereby changes don't report on the main screen and changes tabs unless the activity log has been viewed first?

David Sinclair's picture

I'm glad it's working properly now.

It's possible there could be a bug with refreshing some of the logs; I'll investigate that.