Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Two suggestions: easy dismissal option, and customizable text strings

First, I love Time Out. I just donated a little extra to support development of Time Out 2.

I'm sure there are tons of changes coming in 2, but here are two in particular that I'd like to see:

1. Easy dismissal option: Allow skipping or delaying a break by hitting "Esc" -- I could see this option being disabled by default, so that people don't get in the habit of skipping too many breaks while they are adjusting to the app. But in my case, I'd love to be able to hit "Esc" to skip a break, primarily for times when I'm working with someone else and we're both looking at my screen -- I don't want to wait 5 seconds for the "Skip Break" button to appear.

2. Customizable text strings: I'd love to be able to changes the strings "Time Out" "Time out due now..." and "Back to work...". It would also be kind of nice if I could change the color of "Time Out" (although I'll probably just "blank it out" if it becomes customizable).

Thanks!

Michael

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Two suggestions: easy dismissal option, and customizable ...

Thank you for your extra-generous donation; I appreciate it!

1. I have some ideas about skipping breaks... I'm not sure yet if I'll support a keyboard option or have some other option (like choosing a skip command in the status menu, or having the break controls show up during fade-in).

2. Customizable break themes is definitely coming in version 2.

Time out is awesome - Thanks, David

esc or a single key option is important to me
- no mousing, no waiting, no double key requirement
- - I'm currently fighting RSI from holding the command key with my thumb and doing something else with a finger

Choosing a sound (a short mp3 of tibetan bell, on the desktop) worked for a day - then stopped. Reselecting the sound has not fixed that.

Today I'm resetting the prefs and will try again.

** I /need/ this on ipad - since I'm addicted to flipboard in the mornings -
Maybe a /fixed/ settings version for free, variable settings version for 1.99?

Cheers -

David Sinclair's picture

If the sound stopped working, perhaps you removed the sound? It has to stay in the same location. I'd suggest putting it in some safe location (like within the Time Out data folder).

I would like to implement Time Out for iOS , though it would have some challenges, since apps can't run in the background (other than for a limited time or limited categories). I'd have to use notifications. But it's definitely something I'd like to do someday. First, I need to get Time Out 2 finished (making progress on it today!).

David,

Great, thanks!

1. As long as there is a menu option, users will be able to map it to a keyboard shortcut using System Preferences, so that would meet my needs.

2. Themes sound cool, although my interests may be slightly more modest:

A) Stripping it down, so it looking a little more "professional" (for those times when I'm working with others).

B) If I'm going to be reading certain phrases all day long, I'd prefer to choose phrases that I'm interested in emphasizing.

Looking forward to the next version!

Thanks!

PS: With regards to sound files / other external assets: could be a nice option to add a checkbox saying "Copy this into the Time Out data folder" or whatever. Though maybe that's better left for version 2.1, if at all. :)

David Sinclair's picture

Not sure if you can assign keyboard shortcuts to background-only apps, though.

One of the themes will be "nothing", just showing the break controls. Plus there will be various styles of themes... and you'll be able to add your own. I'll provide more info on that later.

If you're keen, and if you've got a Time Out license already (or want to donate to get one), email me and I'll add you to my potential alpha testers list, and will be in touch in a few weeks time to sign up a small group of alpha testers for version 2.

When does Time Out 2 be out? I can't wait for it's release.

I really love using Time out because it always reminds me to take a break after a long sitting hours in my mac. Most of the time I am using my mac when doing a report for my boss. He is a drunk driving lawyer Tampa, a very good DUI attorney.

Thanks,
Kyle

David Sinclair's picture

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

Work on Time Out has been painfully slow, as I keep having other projects interfering. I've been spending 99% of my time on Profile, and the remaining 1% on an essential Tweeps update recently. I still have to spend a lot of time on Profile, but Tweeps 3.0 is finished now, so I'll be back to Time Out 2.

I'm determined to have it out sometime this year... but that's the best I can say at present.