Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Monitor pages specified words/Search phrase, and Notifiers

What an powerfull program, very nice, a lot of options!

My goal at the moment is Monitor pages for specified words or Search phrase on html php web pages [no rss pages] when it's found a notification.

WebSite-Watcher (a pc program) can Monitor pages and Search phrase, but i'm work an mac "nearest option is Changes Meter but it hasn't this option
There are some Firefox plugins but i like a stand alone program.

Is this possible with Simon or can Simon only monitor changes ?
If it's possible what filter setting and notifiers i have to use ?

Thanks in advance!

-------------------
WebSite-Watcher

Monitor pages for specified words
Looking for specific words within a website's pages? Or perhaps you're waiting for a certain word or phrase to appear? Website-Watcher can handle both tasks with ease. Only get an update notification when specified words are within new/changed content, furthermore WebSite-Watcher will highlight these words, so you see them within a second.

http://www.aignes.com/features.htm

------------

Mike

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Monitor pages specified words/Search phrase, and Notifiers

Yes, Simon has several flexible ways to look for website content.

The Change filter is the simplest, that looks for any change on the the page. But to narrow it down to detect changes in a specific portion, you can use one of the other filters.

The Block filter is the simplest of those: it just looks for start and end text, and detects changes between those two.

You can also use various Find filters to search for text, including using powerful regular expressions. If you want to look for specific phrases on the page, a Find-based filter might be your best option.

You can have any number of filters on a test — either using the output of a previous filter as input, or the service output.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!, sorry about my late answer,
i did a test today, monitor pages for specified words is a succes!

i don't understand how to do a Search phrase?

and i'm searching for automatic text selection when i use the notifier action display the page in web browser, so i can see the result?

David Sinclair's picture

It isn't currently possible to automatically select the difference in your web browser; it can only load the page as-is. But you can see the difference in the Changes log, or could use it in notifiers, e.g. send an email that quotes the difference text.

Thanks David, the mail notifier is a good option i think!

a Search Phrase would be nice, but i don't understand how to do that, i see 3 options ? ?
- find specific occurrence
- whole words
- regular expression > capture group

Mike

David Sinclair's picture

You can search for phrases in the same way as searching for individual words.

indeed a Find-based filter for a Search phrase works, thanks!

notifies Simon again when the same words the next time on a website ? ?
(I see the Notifier options tab and the Filter options tab but i don't understand how to set up)

David Sinclair's picture

You add filters to narrow down the text being looked at, and optionally detect changes from the previous check or make a failure if text isn't found or is different. It's very flexible. If there isn't a built-in filter that does exactly what you want, you can add a filter to do something different, e.g. cause a failure if the site ever contains a certain phrase. Look at the Filters window for examples, and experiment with adding a new filter.

Normally unchanged text won't cause a notifier to be used, but you can override that, e.g. via a filter to alter a status of Unchanged to Changed.

i'm not sure if my set up is right, it's not intuitive/logic in my upinion, because it found failures and then it notifiies ?

i selected in the "FILTER WINDOW"
Filter Kind
- find
- failure if the text is found
Options
- unchanged
- changed
- look for changes to the input text

i selected in the "SITE WINDOW"
Filters
- filter: "my filter"
- input: response
Notifiers
- Failure
- Annoying buzzer

David Sinclair's picture

So you added a filter that results in a Failure status if the text is found, then when the test checks it does find that text, and thus results in a Failure as requested, and notifies you.

That all sounds like it's working as expected.

If you carefully describe exactly what you're trying to achieve, I can guide you in setting it up. Give me examples of the URL, search text, and expected results.

ok thanks i understand that my settings are right, Simon notifies failures

When doing a next searchs with the same words is it also the right settings ?

David Sinclair's picture

Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you clarify?