Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Simon in the cloud?

I've been setting up a bunch of checks with Simon this morning and am certainly enjoying its flexibility and ease of use compared to, say, Nagios. Simon meets our needs very nicely. However, I'm concerned that I'm running all my checks here at the home office; if we lose power or our Internet connection, obviously Simon won't be able to check *or* notify me if something's wrong.

Do you guys know of a way to run Simon in the cloud? My ideal scenario would be to create a Simon configuration locally, test it, and then post it to a cloud service that would run those checks just as I had configured them. Obviously some checks might not be appropriate -- one that required access to our internal network, for example -- but for monitoring public systems that'd be very handy.

I know about macminicolo.net, but it seems like overkill to have to buy an entire Mac Mini just to run the occasional check.

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Simon in the cloud?

I'm glad you're enjoying Simon.

I don't provide any way to run Simon's tests in the cloud. Simon is designed to run on a local machine, though I know many customers run it on a remote server too. And a number of customers run two copies of Simon, on different machines and sometimes different locations, as a double-check.

Perhaps offering such a cloud-based Simon service could be a good business opportunity for someone. You never know, I might even offer it in the future, though I don't have any plans to do so at this time.

I do have some plans for a future version of Simon to make it easier to share configurations between machines (e.g. via iCloud or Dropbox), so that'll help.