Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

AFP volume mount test not working

The AFP volume mount test in Simon doesn't work properly when the test fails. I'm running Simon on Mac OS X 10.7.4 with the AFP username and password configured properly in the test.

When the AFP server and the OpenDirectory server that authenticates for it are up, everything works fine. You can see the volume mounting and dismounting on the Desktop as Simon checks it.

But when it fails, instead of the Simon test failing and Simon performing the configured Notifications, a login dialog for the AFP server is displayed, asking for a username and password. The username configured in the test is there, but that's it. These authentication dialogs just keep piling on top of each other and the failure Notification is never triggered (see attached screenshot).

I did try putting the username and password in manually and checkmarking the option to put it in the Keychain, but that made no difference (and that shouldn't be required anyway).

Thanks,
John

AttachmentSize
Simon AFP Mount Fail.jpg233.06 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: AFP volume mount test not working

Have you just started using this service, or was it working and it stopped with a recent OS update?

I will be working on Simon 3.5 next week, so I'll investigate this then, and see if I can come up with a solution.

However, since the OS is displaying that authentication panel, I'm not sure if I'll be able to intercept it. But hopefully I'll be able to come up with something.

JohnDCCIU's picture

David,

Thanks for taking a look at it.

This is the first time that I've ever used this particular test, so I'm not sure how it worked in previous versions of Mac OS X or Simon.

FWIW, I did some testing with the "mount_afp" comand in 10.7.4. I was able to use it (with credentials incorporated into the URL) to mount and dismount an AFP volume successfully. I then rebooted the directory server to simulate a failure, and mount_afp properly returned an error in the command line environment (in my case, it was "mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error -5023, errno is -5023"): it didn't involve the Finder or invoke any dialogs.

Thanks,
John

David Sinclair's picture

That sounds like a reasonable workaround in the meantime, then. But I'll definitely look into it.