Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Repeat notification

I'm using Simon to chase a stolen computer. When it comes on line, I want a noisy notifier to wake me up and get me out of bed, and to keep making a noisy until I reach my machine to turn it off.

Is that possible ?

Cordially,

AB

Re: Repeat notification

I see that I have not understood the basics... I set up a test to tell me when a change occurred (that is to say, when a port that was closed became open) and nothing happened when the change occurred. It seems that Simon cannot sound an alarm when something starts to work, only when it stops working.

I suppose that a service could be written, but I don't see what to enter where...

As far as the noisy part is concerned, I will simply play some music at top volume, so that question is answered.

AB

David Sinclair's picture

It's hard to diagnose without more details, but Simon can certainly detect changes; that's one of its primary functions. Bu default a new test includes a Change filter to do just that.

If you attach screenshots to your original message, I may be able to help further — or send them via email if you don't want to post publicly.

No, there is a misunderstanding. For Simon, a change is a change on a web page, I though that it was a change of status, a change between a computer being off and on. So changes are irrelevant to my problem.

What I want to do is to sound at audible alarm when port 22 on an IP becomes available, that it to say when the computer stolen from me is on line. At the moment it is off line, turned off. Simon is checking it for me every minute, but I have to watch the screen to see if the status alters.

Is it possible to sound an alarm when a machine comes on line ? It's simply the opposite of what is normally required.

AB

David Sinclair's picture

You could have a test monitor the port, so that it'd be a failure now, then when it comes online, the test would recover, and you could get a notification for the recovery.

Yes, I tried that on a computer to which I have access, when it came on line no notification was sent. -- AB

David Sinclair's picture

I think I'd need to see your configuration to diagnose what is wrong, then.