Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

"Follow Redirects" option?

Good old WhistleBlower had a neat option called "Follow Redirects" on the HTTP service, and if this option was checked it would follow all redirects to the final page before stopping and evaluating the results.

I can't find anything like it in Simon...am I missing something? While I could have one Simon test per redirect to test everything, it would be far simpler and more efficient to have just one HTTP check that has to end up at a certain place (or it fails), so you could test both the redirect(s) and the final page all at once.

Any way to do that?

Thanks,
John

David Sinclair's picture

Re: "Follow Redirects" option?

Simon automatically follows redirects. No need to configure anything. (Conversely, there's no way to not follow the redirect using the Web (HTTP) plugin. But you could via a script if desired.)

JohnDCCIU's picture

Maybe it's the kind of redirect that we're talking about....what I meant in this case is the meta refresh tag, used for redirection purposes, not an HTTP 301 or 302 status code response.

I'm using the HTTP plugin to look for Required Text "CCIU Web Help Desk" at help.cciu.org That initial page does not have that text, but the page that it meta-refresh-redirects to does (you can look at it yourself, it's a public page). The test fails every time, and when I do a Preview, it only shows me the initial page, not the final page that it should redirect to.

So can Simon respect (perhaps optionally) a meta refresh used for redirection as well as an HTTP 301/302 redirect?

John

David Sinclair's picture

Ah, I see. Yes, Simon will only load the initial page. A meta refresh is still a valid web page.

Simon doesn't know about meta refreshes. I suppose I could add support for them... but perhaps a better solution would be for you to just monitor the final page.