Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Email Notification failures

Email notifiers are not sending. I'm using an external SMTP server

The machine log simply has:

3/26/13 4:58:22.161 PM Simon: Pantomime: Connected!
3/26/13 4:58:22.161 PM Simon: Now starting SSL...

But the email is never delivered. In fact I see no sign of Simon connecting to our SMTP server at all.

The transport method is SMTP, server port 587, using SSL, authentication is Password (though we've tried MD5 as well)

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Email Notification failures

The Email notifier can be tricky to get configured. All I can suggest is trying various options; try without SSL, etc. Check the transport settings, and the From and To addresses. Failing that, you could use the Apple Mail transport.

I am a new Simon user but pretty experienced in email and am frustrated that I cannot get the email notifications to send. The transport method is SMTP, server port 587, using SSL, authentication is Password. I am reluctant to have Apple Mail running on the machine, Simon should all run quietly in the background.

David Sinclair's picture

Try the steps in my previous comment, if you haven't already. It does work, but can be difficult to get right. I am considering replacing the Pantomime framework with something else that is less picky, though there aren't many good options.