Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Importing and Exporting tests?

I have several types of tests.. some are ongoing live tests that I leave running all the time, and others I only need to run once or twice per week.

Rather than have tons of tests, since they scroll off the screen... I would like to be able to create sets of tests.

Is there a way that I can save all my current tests into a file, and then create new tests that I could also save, then re important at another date?

Then for example, when it comes time for my weekly tests I would just open the file with all the tests in it, and then once done, reopen by daily tests...

Are the tests kept in the Library folder that I can access?

any ideas?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Importing and Exporting tests?

There aren't import and export commands (yet), though that's something I occasionally think about adding (hasn't been much demand for it).

Another feature I'm thinking about (and has been a more popular request) is groups, so related tests can be grouped in a folder or similar, and thus hidden by a disclosure triangle or something.

Yet another option is to move the data to a document model, so you can have multiple documents, each containing a set of tests, and open the ones you want. I'm not sure that's appropriate for Simon, though sounds like exactly what you want. I've been experimenting with a document approach in one of my other apps.

Until one of those is done, your best bet would be to manually manage the data. The Simon data is stored in the path "~/Library/Application Support/Dejal/Simon", where "~" means your home folder. So you could quit Simon, rename that folder to something else, and re-launch Simon to create a new set of data with other tests (or duplicate the folder and delete some from each). Then quit Simon, swap folders around, and re-launch when you want to check a different set of tests.

Personally, I'd prefer to just leave all the tests running all the time (or auto-pause some if you don't want them checking). But if you want to keep the number of tests down, that'd be an option.