Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Need help urgently

Hi Guys,

I'm breaking my head for the last couple of days and i think my question is really simple.

I want to monitor a certain page of a website www.company.com/index.html OR www.company.com/index.html for changes in the date.

How on earth do i setup the filter?

BR

Robert

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Need help urgently

You need a separate test for each web page (or other service) you want to monitor. You use one or more filters to examine the output (e.g. web page source) and detect changes, optionally in only a portion of the page.

do you have an example?

David Sinclair's picture

Simon comes with some example tests, which also demonstrate filters. See also the Help Book page on test filters, among others.

I also did a blog post recently that demoed setting up a test, though that just used the default Change filter.

I just don't get it to work, does anybody has an example how to set up a check on a webpage (html/php) to look if the date has changed?

I just want to monitor if a date of a page has changed.

David Sinclair's picture

To monitor the date of the web page, you would probably want to look at the headers instead of page source.

In Simon, select your test and choose the File > Show Source command. That will display a window with the headers and page source.

For example, for the Dejal forums, I get:

200: no error
Keep-Alive: timeout=2, max=100
Expires: Sun, 19 Nov 1978 05:00:00 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 28 May 2013 16:16:15 GMT
Server: Apache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.17
Connection: Keep-Alive
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 16:16:14 GMT
Cache-Control: store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Transfer-Encoding: Identity

I can set up a Block filter to use the Header Text as the input, "Last-Modified:" as the Start text, and a line break as the End text. That will detect a change when that date changes.

Note that some sites don't use the "Last-Modified" header, so you might need to use "Date" or another one. Look at the Show Source window as a guide.