Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

do you have a free version that stays functional?

i saw "Simon Free" in the comparison chart, so assumed there was a free version

i expect it only allows maybe 1 or 2 monitors and has other limited features, but it seems to be saying it's a 14 day trial?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: do you have a free version that stays functional?

Simon Free and Simon Express are on the Mac App Store.

Simon Free is and always will be completely free. Simon Express is paid, but enables an unlimited number of tests (but fewer other features than the standard edition).

The standard edition of Simon on the Dejal site does indeed have a free 14-day trial, though note it only counts days of actual usage (if you launch it once, quit it, then launch again a month later, you'll still have 13 days left).

Take another look at the Simon Feature Comparison for more information.

It's also worth noting that Simon Free and Simon Express are a few versions behind, and won't be getting any updates for a while, due to Apple's new sandboxing rules. I hope to update them to make them work in the app sandbox, but it's a big job.

do you have a download of Simon Free directly from your web site? if not, why not?

David Sinclair's picture

No, it's only available via the Mac App Store.

mmm'k, i see that it seems i can't send SMS message with the free version. hah! you got me. I guess $50 of my next check goes to you! :D

Unless, of course, you'd be interested in some pro Karaoke software, then we could do a trade ;)

David Sinclair's picture

Can't say I'm into Karaoke. :)

Do try Simon via the trial period, to make sure it'll do everything you need.

yeah it's already installed on my server. i have 2 servers, the second of which i suspect of having a bad power supply, so the first is now monitoring it. seems like you're the only game in town, so you win my $50 come july 1 ;)

paid! and thanks, i'm happy.

-dave

ps: figured only AFTER i paid that i could have used the free one with Growl / Prowl to get push notifications on my iPhone. oh well. still good for you to get paid for your excellent app!

-dave

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks! Yep, getting paid is my preferred option. :)