Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Disable Buddhist/Meditation Picture?

Using the latest version on Mountain Lion.

Is there any way to disable or remove that Photo of the person meditating and doing Buddhist like sitting? I cannot stand looking at that photo at every single break as I am not into Buddhism or Yoga meditation.

If I am unable to remove or disable seeing that photo, I cannot and will not use this App:(

At least give the user the ability to change that photo and import their own?

Please give me ability to REMOVE or DISABLE that Buddhist meditation photo of that man sitting and holding his hands/fingers in Buddhist style hand gesture.

Thanks.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Disable Buddhist/Meditation Picture?

In Time Out 2, you'll have the ability to select from several break themes. I'm also planning to change the app icon, since it can be a bit polarizing. Ironically, some people who are into yoga don't like it either.

You don't need to be into something to recognize the symbolism, though. You could just think of it as someone counting on their fingers. :)

There isn't any official way to change the image in version 1, but some people have done so by replacing the image in the app bundle. It's pretty easy to do, if you want to try that; just make a copy of the app first, and replace the image at the path "Contents/MacOS/Time Out Break/Contents/Resources/TimeOutBreak.png" within the app bundle with another image, using the same name.

David, I am a Minister for God, for me to try to ignore or approve or look at a Buddhism photo all day, being conditioned with Buddhism and Yoga, would not be appropriate lol :)

So in version 2, I can choose a Christian theme or another theme so I no longer need to look at Buddhist or Yoga or Eastern Mysticism photos? lol :)

Ok I edited the main PNG photo using Gimp and painted over the man with green colour, I then copied over the App icon with another free Icon I have and will see how it goes:)

David Sinclair's picture

I can understand your point of view, though please be respectful of others beliefs, too; I'm sure there are others on the forum that do follow Buddhism or similar beliefs.

Yes, in version 2 you'll be able to choose from various themes, perhaps including stretching suggestions, memos, etc.

Editing the app icon is a bit tricker, since it uses an .icns file, which contains various sizes of image. If you email me a 512 x 512 (or 256 x 256, or other multiple) image, in PNG format, with a transparent background, I could make an .icns of it for you. You can then replace the TimeOut.icns file in the app.

David, I painted over TimeOutBreak.png, yet it still shows that annoying Mystic Buddhist holding his fingers:(

Is there ANOTHER TimeOutBreak.png somewhere else?

Yes David, but why do you force ALL users to be exposed to Buddhism? That's very disrespectful of YOU, pushing a belief onto others.

David Sinclair's picture

Yes, there are two images; the one that's used in the break is within the "Time Out Break" helper app, in the path "Contents/MacOS/Time Out Break/Contents/Resources/TimeOutBreak.png".

I don't force anyone to use my app, and don't mean to expound any particular beliefs through it. It's just a symbol that my graphic designer chose for the icon. One that I do want to change.

Your loss David, I am removing your App for good, and so are my friends who I recommended this App too. And I will post a blog about your App and your refusal to stop pushing your Buddhist beliefs onto others.

Bad bad bad mistake David, very poor attitude and reasoning, because your App had potential, but your personal agenda and pride will hinder it's progress. You should always make Apps NEUTRAL from Political or Religious views!

Goodbye.

David Sinclair's picture

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel I've been entirely reasonable in this discussion, even offering ways to hack the app to make you more comfortable. I have no agenda with the app icon.

If you do write a blog post about it, please provide a link to it here so I and others can follow along.

David, if you must push religion through your Apps, then push Jesus and Christianity, for that is the truth!

God bless, bye.

David, I think you have been very reasonable, accommodating and tolerant. You told him how to change the image, and even offered to do it for him. You indicated that you were not interested in "pushing" buddhism or any other religion; it was just a graphic, and you said you planned to change it anyway.

My guess is he was "spoiling for a fight"; he was unreasonable in wanting you to hop to it and change it for him. I don't think he read far enough to see where you did offer to make an icon for him.

Just this morning, a member of our church was saying how grateful she was to be in a church that didn't equate the practice of yoga with satanism or worse. We had a hard time believing that any church would do so, and then I read this.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your work and your reasonableness under fire, so to speak.

David Sinclair's picture

Thank you; I appreciate your kind words.

Yes, he was clearly spoiling for a fight, and was perhaps disappointed with my responses, but I really have no interest in fighting with anyone over their beliefs, especially about an icon. I do like to help where I can, though.

Anyway, thanks again.