Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

too many false alarms - notifier of failure, then success immediately thereafter, several times/day

I am using Simon to monitor the status of several machines at work, including a Windows PC, an Apple Xserve, and an embedded Linux DAQ box. I have the rules set up so that I'm notified by email when one of these goes down (is unreachable) and then again when it comes back up (is reachable). What I see is that at least once a day, I get two emails back to back - an email saying one of these machines has gone down, and then immediately thereafter an email saying it's back up. The machines are not actually rebooting, so it must be a network issue? We're at a major university with good internet infrastructure, so that's odd, but aside from why it happens, what I'd like is not to be emailed unless a machine is really down for good. I've got the time set for like 5 minutes, which seems like a lot - no minor network glitch should take that long, and I have a hard time believing that our network cuts out for >5 min at a time multiple times per day. What am I missing here - how do I set it so that I don't get emails until a device is truly down (unreachable)? How do I stop the false alarms?

David Sinclair's picture

Re: too many false alarms - notifier of failure, then ...

There's a setting in the notifier Options just for this kind of scenario: "after [] consecutive errors". And a related option, "Only notify if failure notified".

See Edit Notifier Options in the Simon Help.