Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Notify on unchanged?

I'm trying to create a process monitor which notifies me if the processes cpu usage has not changed but I'm finding this a little challenging. There is no 'unchanged' event on the notifier page so I figured the only way to do this was to use an unchanged filter with 'override custom' setting the status to 'failure', then having a second filter with 'changed' event simply detecting change on the response text.

This always results in a 'failure' and I cannot get this to a 'success' status. It seems to apply the'unchanged' filter even if the response text is different.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

AttachmentSize
iflicks_service.PNG75.21 KB
1619110414.PNG125.91 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: Notify on unchanged?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you need another filter before the 'unchanged' override, to actually detect a change. The service itself doesn't do change detection, that is only done by filters. So the first filter is always effectively unchanged if the service is successful.

If that doesn't help, attach a screenshot of your filters to your original message.

Thanks for the reply. I've attached an image to the original post showing the filters and output. I'm sure this should be relatively easy but for some reason I struggle with filters :-)
Thanks
Nic

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the screenshot. The first filter will never be used, as it has a Changed condition, and the first filter can never already be in Changed state, since the service doesn't detect changes. (I should probably update Simon to disable that option, to avoid this possibility.)

You also don't enter any text, so might as well use the simple Change filter, which detects any change.

So to make this work, simply alter the first filter's condition to Success instead of Unchanged, and optionally use the Change filter instead of Block. I think that'd do it.

Thanks. I updated the test and it seems to be detecting change/unchange but it's still not forcing a failure event.
Regards

Just deleted the second filter and added again, now I can force a fail, but when updating it doesn't detect a success (and thus reset). Image attached to main post.
Thanks

My mistake! I forgot to refresh the app! Looks like its working. Once again thanks :-)