Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

SMS Gateway other than ClickATell

I'm down to one on-premises mailserver these days, so I wanted to use an SMS gateway to text me and my staff if that one mailserver goes down (because Simon wouldn't be able to send emails if that mailserver is down).

The one SMS gateway offered in Simon is "ClickATell", but in investigating their pricing, they now require a mandatory $10/month account to be able to send SMS messages. Since I'd very rarely be sending any text messages (only if my main mailserver is down), that's kind of a waste.

Is there any chance of support an additional SMS gateway provider that offers "Pay As You Go" SMS messages? One that I found is CallFire: https://www.callfire.com/pricing Using that service, you can pay for a set number of SMS texts, then just use them until they're gone (with option for automatic replenishment), all with no monthly fee.

Thanks,
John

David Sinclair's picture

Re: SMS Gateway other than ClickATell

That CallFire service does look like a good option, and the API looks fairly easy.

I'll make a note to consider supporting it in a future version.

In the meantime, if you're keen, you could add a PHP script to your site (or another site you control) to support their service, and call that from a Script-based notifier. Or if you enable PHP on your machine, you could do it entirely in Simon.

JohnDCCIU's picture

Re: SMS Gateway other than ClickATell

Thanks, much appreciated! If I get a chance to try the PHP thing, I'll post it here for anyone else that might want to try, otherwise I'll look forward to CallFire support in a future version of Simon.