Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Mail not working migrating to new server

After migrating Simon to a new mac mini running Mavericks, we are unable to send email alerts. We can send mail from Postfix itself, but Simon throws off an error:

Simon: No mail servers for domain "mycompany.com"

Any help would be appreciated!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Mail not working migrating to new server

You're using a Sendmail transport? I don't know whether or not any configuration is needed for that. For the Apple Mail transport, you'd need to set up accounts in Apple Mail.

I'm not at the point to test Simon's e-mail plug-in as I've still taking care of the underlying plumbing before I make a purchase and do so.

I did configure Postfix, which is supplied by Apple and is a fine MTA that accepts all sendmail commands, as a smtp relay to my Gmail account using the great guidance found at http://blog.anupamsg.me/2012/02/14/enabling-postfix-for-outbound-relay-v...

It worked as documented via the command line and now will have to do a little script that I can get Simon to use.

I'm going to this trouble because my Mac Mini running 10.8.5 is just a headless server and I try to keep the number of running apps on it to a minimum.

David Sinclair's picture

Sorry, your comment was held up for moderation, since it included a link.

I'm afraid I'm not really sufficiently familiar with sendmail to help diagnose issues with it. It's external to Simon. Can anyone else help?

I will actually probably remove Sendmail as a transport option in a future release, since it isn't supported by more modern mail frameworks. It may be possible to continue supporting it via a custom script, though.