Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Freezing

I had Simon 2.x running on my Mac Mini server for years. I finally got around to upgrading to v3 in June 2104, currently running 3.6.1. Since the upgrade, Simon has been freezing somewhat frequently, something I'd never seen with 2.x. Like most users this runs on a Mac that's always running, currently on 10.9.5. Simon will freeze every 5-10 days. I typically don't notice it has frozen until I hear of a server that's gone down I didn't hear about, or when I'm connected to that server for something else. If I force-quit and relaunch Simon it comes back up fine.

The server doesn't do very much. Other running apps are iPhoto, iTunes, and a few other common apps. It's a home media server with very little active use. Simon's use is primarily to monitor several outside web servers.

Ideally I'd like to fix the freezing, but alternatively I'm ok with a solution that detects the freezing and relaunches the app (perhaps with some alert to keep me informed). Sort of a Simon for Simon...

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Freezing

I'm sorry to hear that. I do want to add some sort of monitor of Simon to detect issues like this (which are fortunately rare for most people).

In the meantime, the best I can suggest is to use the Pulse service at some suitable frequency (perhaps once per day), with a notifier to reassure you that Simon is still working correctly. If you don't get that notification, look at Simon.