Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Pulse - Reverse trigger?

Not sure how to phrase this question and my apologies if this is answered previously. Same issue, not sure how to search for this either.

The configuration:
I setup Pulse to send me an email every 15 minutes from the Monitoring Mac. This Mac is then monitoring 4 servers and various sevices. Works great.
I have Pulse setup so if that Mac or the network at the client's office goes down, then I no longer received the 15 minute emails.

The issue:
The email every 15 minutes is annoying but very important.

The question:
Has anyone figured out a setup that watches for this email every 15 minutes and if it does not receive it, then that trips a warning email to me?

I have thought of using another Mac server or a Mac that is on 24/7 to receive the 15 minute pulse, then setup something there to email/text me if it does not receive the pulse email.

I just started evaluating this software yesterday and am very impressed. But quite a learning curve. Hoping someone else has tried something like this already.

Thanks,

Mike

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Pulse - Reverse trigger?

Hi Mike,

I think some people have done things like what you want, so hopefully they'll chime in.

One option could be to run Simon on two machines, with the first posting to a web page or something, and the second looking at that page at the same frequency and giving a notification if it doesn't change. You can do that via a Change filter and an override filter to make unchanged into failure.

Hi there.

I am using the same sort of thing but posting all notifications to a MySQL database. I have the Pulse setup to use a Notifier which inputs the check time into a time field in the database, my front page (website) then uses PHP to determine the time difference between the Check Time and the current time.

If this time ever exceeds more than 5 minutes then the code assumes the server has gone down, and flags it up as a warning for me.

Sorry I don't know of a way using your email method, but thought I would share mine.

Thanks,
Tom

David,
Yea I thought of a second copy of Simon running elsewhere, but wanted to avoid that is possible.

Tom,
Great idea, was thinking along a webpage update, I'm not a great web programmer so I'm limited.

Thanks,

Mike