Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Time Out not showing overlay

Hi there,

Problem:
Time Out 1 is working great for me. Time Out 2 however, doesn't show the actual break overlay. The counters are running up and down as they are supposed to, but I do not get to see the splash screen at break (automatic, manual and preview). Is this suppose to happen? I do have added Time Out 2 to the accessibility list. Also I have f.lux installed, I tested with and without it running. Tested on the following models: MBP 13" Late 2015, iMac 27" 2012. I'm a developer myself so if you need diagnostic information, I might be able to help you out.

Great work on the second iteration of Time Out. I backed you as soon as I found out about the project. Keep up the good work! Kind regards,

David

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Time Out not showing overlay

Hi David,

Thank you for the kind words.

What happens when you start a break (e.g. manually)? Does the screen dim, but no theme display or controls?

Do you have one or more displays?

What OS version?

Are there any errors in the Console?

Ok, so I got it working, what needed to happen was I needed to restart my computer for it to start working.

- OS version: 10.11.3
- Encrypted drive + firmware encryption <-- maybe that's why I needed to restart?
- f.lux installed (but does not seem to have any impact on your program)
- Tested on both single screen (laptop) as well as multi-monitor iMac, both have the same problem and work fine after restarting the computer.

Relevant log for errors (This was yesterday when it did not work): https://gist.github.com/festen/122e2acdc9000a4241bc

David Sinclair's picture

This seems to be the problem:

26-01-16 23:01:26,174 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (6Z7QW53WB6.com.dejal.timeout.break[3824]) Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 155: Refusing to execute/trust quarantined program/file: 6Z7QW53WB6.com.dejal.timeout.break

The OS is refusing to run the break helper due to the Developer ID quarantine. This suggests to me that you have multiple copies of the app on your drive, and haven't opened one of them, and the OS is trying to launch the helper in that one. It's a known OS bug that helpers aren't always launched from the containing app (my Radar #22446403, closed as duplicate, in case you want to dupe it). I'm not aware of any workaround for this, which is why I have a check and warning in the app if another copy is detected, though that isn't foolproof.

I was having this problem as well, but restarting my computer didn't fix the problem. I was finally able to resolve it by entering the following command in Terminal:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Time\ Out.app

Posting the answer here in case it'll help anyone else out.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for that. I do wonder why this is affecting some people, but I'm glad there's a solution.