Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

2.0b1 Bugs? Dock and Schedule

First, I'd just like to say I'm incredibly happy with the new release. It's added a few features I've really been wanting, and I'll be happy to pay for the app.

I just upgraded to 2.0b1. It seems when I quit the app, and restart it, there's at least two options that are not being recognized on startup:

- Don't include TimeOut in Dock
- Available "Only Between"

Both of those revert back to default settings instead of my configured prefs.

On another note, I tried to create a custom theme. I simply duplicated the "Tips Shorter" theme, changed some text in the Info.json file, changed some text in the index.html file, and saved. When I try and test the theme via the Preview button, instead of the html doc being processed, I get error text saying "Missing root document name in the 'XYZ' theme. I don't spot any syntax errors in either docs. Any pointers to the problem?

Finally, some feedback:
- There's no way to see the version number of the app inside the app windows.

- It would be nice to have a hook to OSX "Do Not Disturb", though I imagine that interaction can be complex. I'll give you my example. I do presentations. When I plan to do one, there's two things I do: 1) Turn on "Do Not Disturb" and 2) Turn on Caffeine or Owly app to make sure my laptop display doesn't sleep during my preso. It would be great for TimeOut to not try and break if "Do Not Disturb" is turned on. However I can imagine others would want things setup differently.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: 2.0b1 Bugs? Dock and Schedule

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Yes, all of the supporter rewards revert when you quit (or after an hour). Once you become a supporter, they will remain permanently. Since a few people have commented on the quit behavior, I wonder if I should change that?

Regarding your custom theme, did you rename the index.html file, or break the JSON formatting of the Info.json file? If you can't figure it out, I'd be happy to take a look at the theme for you; email it to me.

Re the version number, I actually addressed that yesterday; I've added an About Time Out item to the top of the help (?) menu. That'll be in 2.0b2.

Re "Do Not Disturb", that could be a useful enhancement. I've made a note of the idea to consider for a future version. I already have a note for Caffeine integration; also something I might add in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!

I must echo Petro's comments. Very happy to see these features, thanks!

And I experienced the preferences, not persisting, or reverting after a while as well. The other preference I noticed not being saved was the Keyboard Shortcuts.

I had paid for this app previously. Are you saying we need to be a supporter of the current version in order for those settings to persist?

Thanks. Steve.

David Sinclair's picture

People can try those features for an hour at a time, then they revert. You need to either be a current or past supporter to keep them available permanently.

You can use the Restore Previous Purchases button on the Support Time Out page to look up your purchase. It'll then say "Thanks for supporting Time Out" at the top of the page, and the features will remain available.

Note that you don't need to be a current supporter; even if you donated in the past, the features will remain available.

petro's picture

Thanks David, the settings reverting make sense now. I don't think it's a problem per se, however I think it would be good to make it clearer to a user of a non-registered version that it's being reset on purpose.

I rebooted my Mac for the first time since upgrading to TimeOut 2.0, and I see that the prefs window shows up on reboot. I assume this is something that happens in a non-registered version, and that behavior would go away when registered? Maybe you could make it more obvious in the prefs window what settings where changed back to defaults, or some clearer message that *some* setting was changed back to default when the app is started up?

(I just paid for a time license, seems the prefs doesn't show up on startup now that it's registered, and my settings are saved)

Oh, minor preference: Caffeine hasn't been updated since 2010. I switched to Owly which does the same thing and is still in active development. So my $0.02 goes towards supporting something still being developed!

Cheers!

David Sinclair's picture

You should have seen a message below the "Support Time Out" item in the sidebar saying something like thanks for trying the supporter rewards. The features that were reverted are marked for non-supporters with a heart icon that blinks in next to the setting.

The Preferences window shows up on launch when it's shown in the Dock. I agree it'd be better if it didn't when restarting, but I'm not sure if I can make that distinction.

petro's picture

FYI, I solved the custom theme problem. At some point I must have opened the json file with TextEdit instead of BBEdit. It replaced a " with a stupid “. Grrr... TextEdit defaults to "Smart Quotes" being on, and mangles files if you don't turn that off...

David Sinclair's picture

Aha; that'd make sense. I'm glad you figured it out!

If you do create any interesting themes that others might find useful, please share.

I very much agree that the app preferences should be preserved between launches! This is standard Mac app behaviour!

David Sinclair's picture

The preferences are preserved, but the trial state is not, so the supporter rewards are reset on launch. That is intentional. But I'm continuing to evaluate it.