Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Breaks while screensaver is running

Hello, I switched to Time Out 2.0 and it starts breaks while screensaver is running. I know it because I have set up sounds on end of each break and they are played even if I don't use computer and screensaver is running or display sleeps. I started to investigate this issue and it seems to me, that natural breaks are detected correctly when I stop use mouse or keyboard for a while, but sometimes they are not when screensaver is running. I had no such issues with Time Out 1.7.

Best regards
Michal Krause

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Breaks while screensaver is running

Hi Michal,

Interesting. Are you using a built-in screensaver? Which one?

You could try switching the idle detector in the Advanced preferences as a solution.

Hi David, yes, it is built-in screensaver Flip-up. I tried to use Event Source idle detection today, but it is the same. Sometimes (but not everytime) Time Out starts breaks under screensaver. Additionally I saw today, that overlay window appeared over screensaver.

Best regards
Michal Krause

David Sinclair's picture

Hi Michal,

Very strange. You could look in the Console log to see what the scheduler is doing. It should record whether it thinks you're idle or not.

Hi David,

here is log from moment, when the issue appeared:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20001762/Time%20Out.txt

I've managed to simulate it with these steps:

1. I've manually set up time of micro break to time about two minutes from now
2. I've started screensaver using OS X active corners
3. Micro break started even if screensaver was running and overlay window appeared over screensaver

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for that. The log indicates that the scheduler is correctly counting backwards, and yet the break still starts. It's unclear why. I'll investigate this.

David Sinclair's picture

FYI, I've added an option for 2.0.2 to skip breaks during the screensaver.