Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Feature Request: Option to Limit Break Postpones on a Per-Break Basis

Hello,

I would really appreciate a limit to the number of times a break may be postponed per break. For instance, unlimited postpones per day, but only three postpones allowed per break.

I use Time Out to relax every 30 minutes with ten minute breaks, but I end up near-subconsciously using 60 second postpones several times. I could use the per-day limit setting, but there may be times I absolutely need to postpone past the day's limit (i.e. having a critical thought while editing a video after seven postpones already that day).

Thank you for your continued development efforts, user communication, and contribution to human health! Time Out is a wonderful product.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature Request: Option to Limit Break Postpones on a ...

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words; I appreciate it.

One idea behind the current limit option is to encourage you to consider if you really want to postpone or skip, knowing that you have a limited number available each day.

I'm considering also adding an option in version 2.4 or 2.5 that would let you delay the decision for a few seconds, so the buttons are disabled for e.g. 15 seconds at the start of the break. That option could help you avoid the postpone reflex, by forcing you to take a moment to consider if you really need to postpone or skip.

David,

Thank you for your reply. I understand, and I love your idea of a postpone/skip decision delay. I think this would be a wonderful addition if implemented. It would probably eliminate the need for my feature request, as I would stop subconsciously hitting the Postpone button and pay more attention to breaks.

If this feature were to be implemented, could I ask if you have a general release timeframe in mind?

Thank you.

David Sinclair's picture

It is tentatively on the feature list for version 2.4, which is currently in beta, and should reach general release around the end of the month (or so). If it gets deferred to 2.5, that'll likely be in about 4 or 5 months time. But it's likely to make it into 2.4.

Sounds great! Thank you very much. Looking forward to release.