Time Out icon Time Out
You deserve a break

Feature Request: Sit and Stand Reminder

Hi,

I would like reminders to sit and stand. The reminder should say whether I should sit or stand and I would like to be able to specify separate duration for each. I would like it to follow my actual sit and stand duration. For example, if I set I want to stand for 15 minutes and sit for 30 minutes and I actually stand for 25 minutes, when I do sit, the timer for 30 minutes starts then.

The issue with doing this using breaks is that a break doesn't show a message and it is hard to tell which break it is and I could alternative been breaks. So, I cannot use breaks to emulate a sit/stand.

Thanks,

Scott

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Feature Request: Sit and Stand Reminder

Hi Scott,

You can use two breaks, for sit and stand, and use the Text theme to enter custom text to tell you to sit or stand. You can also change the background color to make them more obvious.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I see. But I would like the two breaks to have a relationship with one another. So, if a "break" is extended the other "break" won't be actively counting down. I don't see that being possible.

As for "changing colors to be obvious", I like text better than color but found that I can do that with notifications which works for me there. So, I am good there. Just the relationship between two breaks is the last thing.

Thanks!

David Sinclair's picture

You can set the breaks to reset after a natural break (idle) that is less than the duration of your breaks, so when you take any break, the other ones are reset.

Hi David,

That won't work since I am not taking an idle break and I will have other breaks that I don't want to reset such as my various stretching break. Sitting and standing aren't really breaks even though I am trying to use the break implementation to try to address it. They are really just a form of static position in front of the computer.

It would be nice if the next version of TimeOut can have something that can do this.

Thanks,
Scott

David Sinclair's picture

Hi Scott,

This sounds beyond the scope of what I want for Time Out. But perhaps there could be some solution; can you think of changes that could be made, without significantly changing the app, to accommodate what you want? No promises, but I'm always open to considering ideas for future features.