About the Release Notes
Want to know what has changed since a previous version? This page lists those changes. You can alter the range of release notes to display if you wish.
The latest general release of Time Out is version 2.1. The latest beta release is version 2.2b2.
Time Out 2.2b2
(Release 2027b): released 2017-02-05; requires macOS 10.10 or later; Sierra compatible
- Fixed a crasher on launch for people on macOS 10.11.x and earlier. Sorry about that!
- Minor tweaks to the Support Time Out page.
Time Out 2.2b1
(Release 2026b): released 2017-02-03; requires macOS 10.10 or later; Sierra compatible
Optionally track breaks and/or app usage via a new Activity feature
- Added an "Activity" item in the sidebar, that optionally shows a chart of activity, including breaks you've taken, apps you've used, and time away from the Mac.
- Activity tracking is off by default, for privacy reasons. You can enable it via a button at the top of the Activity page, which displays a menu with options to Track Breaks, Track Apps, and clear the recorded activity.
- On the right-hand side of the Activity page is a slider to zoom the scale; you can also pinch to zoom on a trackpad. The scale goes from 1 day to 1 minute, or even to individual activity items.
- Each line of the activity chart shows the activity grouped together for the scale time period, arranged with breaks before apps, and the longest first. For example, if at a 15 minute scale, it might show 5 minutes of a break, 5 minutes of Safari usage, 3 minutes of Mail, 2 minutes of natural breaks (idle).
- Hover over an activity in the chart to see a tooltip with the break or app name, how many times it occurred in this time period, and how long for.
- Recorded activity lives on your Mac, and isn't shared with anyone else.
- This feature is available as a reward for current supporters. If you were a supporter in the past, but it has expired, you can extend your supporter status to use this feature.
- Added a "Muscles" theme, contributed by "saltymouse", to show a random exercise (from a customizable list) with reps to do during breaks.
- Added a "GiphyStretch" theme, contributed by Sean Carey of Giphy, to show a series of stretching GIFs.
- Added a "GiphyPuppies" theme, also contributed by Sean Carey, to show a series of puppy GIFs.
Break theme improvements
window.webkit.messageHandlers.getTimeOutConfig.postMessage('') message to get a JSON of the break configuration. It will call back to a
timeOutConfig(json) function, passing the JSON. Properties include
format (the JSON format, initially 1),
identifier (the break's unique identifier),
name (the break's name),
durationSeconds (the break duration expressed in seconds),
durationString (e.g. "10 minutes"),
frequencySeconds (the frequency in seconds),
frequencyString (e.g. "1 hour"),
beginningSeconds (the fade-in time),
endingSeconds (the fade-out time).
window.webkit.messageHandlers.getTimeOutState.postMessage('') message, to get a JSON of the break state information. It will call back to a
timeOutState(json) function, passing the JSON. Properties include
format (e.g. 1),
nextDue (e.g. an ISO date like "2016-09-29T23:27:51Z"),
lastDeferred (also dates),
- Let me know if you'd like any other properties for these to help drive your custom themes.
Break action improvements
- On the Actions page, renamed After Finish to After Done, to be consistent with other uses ("finish" is when the break is expected to end, "done" is after it has actually successfully completed, as opposed to other ends of the break like "skip" or "postpone").
- Improved the scheduler's idle handling to cope with macOS calling the timer less frequently than requested (as a power-saving measure).
- Added a separate Exclusions preference to skip breaks when the Mac display is asleep (in addition to the preference to skip during the screensaver).
- Moved the Learn More button on the Support Time Out page, to make it more discoverable.
- Fixed an issue where choosing None for the break theme would revert back to the default Icon theme, even for supporters (this is expected for non-supporters).