Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Introducing Simon 5!

Simon version 5 is now available. It is a massive update, introducing a much-requested feature: syncing the Simon data between multiple Macs, plus a Simon Status service, a Link Checker filter, improved Find filter, iMessage and Speak Error notifiers, a new app icon, and much more.

Important: please note that Simon 5 requires a minimum of macOS 10.12 (Sierra), and is a paid upgrade from Simon 4. Purchasers since September 1, 2020 automatically get a version 5 license (that also works in previous versions).

Read the Simon What's New page for details.

E-Mail Notifier doesn't insert variables /no notifiers when changes to website applied

Hi there,

I am a newly registered user of Simon.

My main aim is to monitor website-servers (my own website-server as well as website-servers from clients) and email-servers.

I am currently getting acquainted to Simons versatile options one of which is getting notified by email in case of malfunctions of servers and changes to websites.

I set up a test to monitor the server of my websites domain using the following options:

- After success: 5 min.
- After failure: 3 min.
- Timeout: 3 min.

Service (see below):
- Web (HTTP)
- URL: (just an example for this posting)
- Method: GET (which seems to get lost after OK-ing and re-opening the window)
(no further options)

left blank

Smart Change Detection:
left blank

Automatically Pause Test:
left blank

Notifiers (see below):
- Mistake: notify via email
- Failure: notify via email
- Recovery: notify via email

- Include on these reports: set up a report on a specific folder on my HD.


Specific settings in Service:
Service Kind: basic
- Default protocol: http://
- Default URL:
- Pause: none

Specific settings in Email-Notifier:
Notifier Options:
- Checked: Change - after 1 consecutive changes
- Checked: Failure - after 1 consecutive failures
- Checked: Only notify once for each failure
- Checked: Recovery - after 1 recoveries
- Checked: Only notify if failure notified

Notifier Kind: E-Mail
- Message body with variables
- To, From, Reply to, Subject, Transport filled with working parameters (adopted from my Entourage accounts)
- Options: same (adopted from my Entourage accounts)


Since I cannot invoke the remote server to malfunction, I applied some changes to my website (text-changes within the body of index.html) in order to check wether my setup works and to receive a change-notification. So far I can't get Simon to send notifiers in case of changes to my website (and in case of server-malfunction?).

I then manually sent the email-notifier by clicking "Notify now" in the task bar of the Notifier Window while the specific notifier was highlighted in order to check wether that worked. I immediately received (and I mean it: immediately!) an email with the message subject and body that has been set up in the email-notifier. Even the "Reply-To" a different address worked like charm.

However the variables weren't inserted in the body and the subject. Instead the variable-placeholders remained within angled brackets. For example: {TestURL} delivered [URL] and {TestLastFailureTime} delivered [LastFailureTime] and {TestLastFailureDate} delivered [LastFailureDate]. Also language-specific characters weren't submitted apparently due to encoding-settings (e.g. german contains specific characters like ä).

1.) Are there any apparent mistakes I may have applied (or overseen in my test-setup that causes Simon not to deliver an email-notification after I applied changes to my website?

2.) Any impact that the "GET" method gets lost (blank line) after confirming the test and re-opening it?

3.) What lead to not inserting the correct variables in the email subject and body (perhaps due to manual sending)?

4.) Are there any (preference-)settings that allow for a specific encoding of the mail subject and body?



David Sinclair's picture

Re: E-Mail Notifier doesn't insert variables /no notifiers when

Hi. Thank you for the detailed description.

To answer your questions:

1. You didn't get a change notification as you have the Smart Change Detection feature disabled in the Edit Test window.

2. The GET setting issue sounds like a localization issue; I'll ask the German localizer to investigate that.

3. The placeholders are sent when using the Notify Now function, as that is demoing the notifier without being used by a test. It'll use the appropriate values when used by a test.

4. No, the email notifier assumes a basic encoding.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Ulf Dunkel's picture

GET issue in test panel

Hi Jo and David.

I have found and fixed the localization issue now, my fault. I had used uppercase strings (GET, PUT, HEAD, etc.) instead of the original, capitalized ones (Get, Put, Head, etc.) which seems to irritate the Simon dialog.

This fix will be part of the coming Simon update.