Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Introducing Simon 5!

Simon version 5 is now available. It is a massive update, introducing a much-requested feature: syncing the Simon data between multiple Macs, plus a Simon Status service, a Link Checker filter, improved Find filter, iMessage and Speak Error notifiers, a new app icon, and much more.

Important: please note that Simon 5 requires a minimum of macOS 10.12 (Sierra), and is a paid upgrade from Simon 4. Purchasers since September 1, 2020 automatically get a version 5 license (that also works in previous versions).

Read the Simon What's New page for details.

Does any of the Dejal applications monitor my Dynamic IP Address and notify me of changes?

Please excuse the newbie question but I just download and installed Simon (very nice app by the way) and I was hopping that it would monitor my Dynamic IP Address for changes and inform me it does and what my new IP address is. Does Simon do this? If so I haven't found it yet. If not, does anyone know if any of the other Dejal applications do this?

I am using Google Analytics and I need to filter out any hits to my webpage from my own computers on my modem. But since I have a dynamic IP address it's going to make it difficult to stay on top of it to ensure accurate reports.

Thanks in advance

Ron

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Does any of the Dejal applications monitor my Dynamic IP ...

Firstly, sorry for the delay in replying. As mentioned in the site-wide alert this week, I've been on vacation without internet access.

There are a couple of ways you could do this. If your machine is directly connected to the internet, you could use a Script-based service that uses the command:

ifconfig -a

Then use Smart Change Detection to notify you of any changes, perhaps filtering to a portion of the output.

If you're behind a NAT router (e.g. AirPort base station), you could use a Web-based test that checks http://www.whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp — that URL will output just your IP address, so you don't need to use Smart Change Detection. This is probably the best option.