Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Several questions

David,

When setting up a script notifier, it's possible to set up a custom variable with name and value. However, it's not possible (afaik) to pass a value from a test into a Notifier.

We are integrating Simon and qPage together for TAP based paging. It works great but I've got to set up several separate notifiers which differ only in the recipients. It would be easier if I could set up one generic notifier and pass the recipients from test itself.

We've got over 200 tests planned for creation, it's getting tedious to edit the notifiers on each test. From what I can tell, we've got to have 2 notifiers (failure/recovery) for each notifier event we wish to use. Am I missing something?

Justin

AttachmentSize
RMissue1.png42.65 KB
RMissue2.png35.3 KB
varnotify.png9.58 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: Several questions

Regarding passing custom variables from a test to a notifier script, the problem with that is where the variables are defined. Each test can have multiple notifiers, and each notifier can be used by multiple tests, so it's not really practical for a notifier to define custom variables for the test. If you have any ideas on how this could be done, I'd certainly be interested in discussing them.

Regarding assigning a notifier for both Failure and Recovery, yes, that's the way to do it. A notifier can be used for Changes, Failures, and/or Recoveries, so you need to say which to use it for when assigning to a test.

In a future version of Simon I plan to make this assignment easier, both via a groups concept, where you can assign just the group to a test and all notifiers within that group will be used, and perhaps also the ability to change multiple tests at once.

David,

David,

You could simply handle it much the way you handle the service's custom variables. If any variables are found, put them below the notifier. Please excuse my horrible photochop.

In the picture, I was thinking about adding a 5th option for both, but perhaps 3 check boxes next to the line for change, failure, and recovery would be better. That way one entry can do all 3.

David Sinclair's picture

That could work...

I suppose that could work. A test uses one service and potentially multiple notifiers, but it could be feasible to have custom variables like that.

Using checkboxes to select which kind of event to use the notifier for (much like in the Edit Notifier window) could also feasible, though would change the design somewhat.

Thanks; I'll make a note of both suggestions for consideration in the next version.