Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

Is it possible to report lack of change?

Simon does great detecting changes in, for example, fetched http content. However, I would like to get a notification when there is no content change and I can't see how to accomplish that.

Background:

I am thus running a little utility program on my server which checks the integrity of server files and produces a report. Simon looks at it, and if there is any change to any files, I get a notification from Simon. This works great.

However, I want also to check that the integrity program continues to run, that is that the integrity reports are updated.In other words, I want to be notified if they go stale.

The integrity checker can output time stamps, so I could use the change detection of Simon IF I could figure out a way to report lack of change.

I can, of course, have Simon sending me notifications that checking works, but I don't like getting numerous unneeded notifications or rush to the server when there is a malfunction of the email system.

David Sinclair's picture

Re: Is it possible to report lack of change?

I do want to add "no change" as a notification option. I may do this in version 2.6, where I plan to replace the Smart Change Detection with a smarter Filter feature.

You could probably achieve this with current versions with a bit more work. Have one test to check the integrity checker output as now, and a second test to check the timestamp from it via a service script, and have the script output the same value each time (e.g. "okay" if the checker is working, or output some different value (e.g. the outputted and current timestamps) if it has gone stale. So that will register as a change if stale, but not if okay.