Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

IMAP service problem or possible incompetent user?

I am evaluating Simon and have run into a serious problem. I am trying to monitor my (external) IMAP server using the provided example "Incoming Mail (IMAP)", which I cannot make work. The problem, after many tests and lots of analysis of the capture data is that the username and passwords set in the edit form are not passed to the service. Instead, this is passed: "a01 login [Username] (password)".

I can send screenshots if this will help demonstrate the problem. The only way I can make the service function is to hard code the username and password into the service.

Please help! I am very interested in Simon for monitoring our website and email server. We are a small dental office and have been paperless for about five years. Getting the rest of our web/mail system up will be a great benefit for us. The email part seems to go down regularly and we need records to prove loss of service to the provider.

Regards,
Stuart J

AttachmentSize
Simon IMAP error capture 1.jpg160.69 KB
Simpn IMAP error capture 2.jpg159.64 KB
David Sinclair's picture

Re: IMAP service problem or possible incompetent user?

The [Username] and [Password] placeholders are used when previewing a test from the Edit Test window, as the field values may not have been saved to the data at that time.

Try running the test from the Monitor window (i.e. Check Now), and it will use the correct variable values.

Unfortunately that revealed another problem. If I put in valid username & password, the port plugin works, that is, shows successful results. If I deliberately alter the username and try again (from the main window, mind you, it STILL reports success.

The only time I've seen the service report failure is when running a "Preview" - it sometimes shows a failure message in the bottom status line.

David, can you help me?

I would gladly help fix this if you wish.

Regards,
Stuart

David Sinclair's picture

Hmm. Okay, just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. With the working test, you go back into Edit Test and change the username in the Security section
  2. You click OK to save it.
  3. You click the Check Now toolbar button in the Monitor window.
  4. The test is checked, but still succeeds?

That seems rather strange, if I'm understanding correctly.

If, however, you're changing the username then doing a Preview without a Check Now, that might still be using the cached info.

I've done this repeatedly - with the correct username & password, with the username altered. All saved before trying this out using "check now".

Using "check now" in the main window it succeeds ALL of the time, completing in less than 1 second.

In preview, with the correct username it succeeds, taking about .3 seconds. With the wrong username it succeeds, timing out after 60 seconds.

iMail reports that this email account is down right now. I'm running the test with the correctly spelled email name and it is succeeding, but without timing out. Without a log to examine I am clueless as to how this is happening.

????

David Sinclair's picture

The Preview window shows the text sent and received, so should provide a clue about what is happening.

Perhaps you could send me screenshots of your Edit Test and Preview windows, in case I can spot an error. You can send them via email for privacy.