Simon icon Simon
Flexible server monitoring

'Direct' SMS Notifier

Hi,

Is it possible to get Simon to send an SMS notification using an attached GSM modem?

I would like to get notifications when my broadband connection is down. Currently I can test for that in a variety of ways, but any notification can't get out because the connection is down.

I have a mifi unit which can be used as a GSM modem and I'd like to get Simon to send a notification using that. Is that easily doable?

Any suggestions appreciated.

-Nic

David Sinclair's picture

Re: 'Direct' SMS Notifier

I don't know... but it might be possible.

If you can talk to the modem via the Terminal, you may be able to write a Script-based notifier. Or if you can connect to it on a port (e.g. via Telnet), you could use a Port-based notifier.

I have made some progress, using a Huawai E5380 mifi unit and an open source tool, SMS Server Tools 3 (http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com).

SMS Server Tools includes a daemon which talks to the mifi modem driver and is able to send an SMS via a command line, or when a file is dropped in to a directory (it can also listen for incoming SMSs).

I have created a new notifier to execute the send script when the 'connected to the internet' test fails. This was my original goal and seems to work.

Next steps are to monitor that the SMS daemon doesn't fall over and to make sure that the PAYG SIM remains in credit...

Then my advanced project will be to restart the cable modem to see if that fixes connectivity and then maybe bring up the mifi unit wireless LAN to provide emergency connectivity. Outside of Simon I may also configure some 'commands' in the form of incoming SMSs which send responses or take actions.

David Sinclair's picture

Thanks for the update. I'm sure others will be interested in your progress, too.